What is Intermittent Fasting ( IF )? And 5 Best Fasting Application
What is ‘Intermittent Fasting’ ?
Intermittent fasting has recently become a health trend. It’s claimed to cause weight loss, improve metabolic health, and perhaps even extend lifespan.
Intermittent fasting (IF) is an eating pattern that cycles between periods of fasting and eating. It doesn’t specify which foods you should eat but rather when you should eat them. Common intermittent fasting methods involve daily 16-hour fasts or fasting for 24 hours, twice per week.
Intermittent Fasting Methods
There are several different ways of doing intermittent fasting — all of which involve splitting the day or week into eating and fasting periods.
These are the most popular methods
- The 16/8 method: Also called the Leangains protocol, it involves skipping breakfast and restricting your daily eating period to 8 hours, such as 1–9 p.m. Then you fast for 16 hours in between.
- Eat-Stop-Eat: This involves fasting for 24 hours, once or twice a week, for example by not eating from dinner one day until dinner the next day
- The 5:2 diet: With this methods, you consume only 500–600 calories on two non-consecutive days of the week, but eat normally the other 5 days.
Many studies have been done on intermittent fasting, in both animals and humans. Here are the main health benefits of Intermittent Fasting.
- Weight loss: As mentioned above, intermittent fasting can help you lose weight and belly fat, without having to consciously restrict calories.
- Insulin resistance: Intermittent fasting can reduce insulin resistance, lowering blood sugar by 3–6% and fasting insulin levels by 20–31%, which should protect against type 2 diabetes
- Inflammation: Some studies show reductions in markers of inflammation, a key driver of many chronic diseases
- Heart health: Intermittent fasting may reduce “bad” LDL cholesterol, blood triglycerides, inflammatory markers, blood sugar and insulin resistance — all risk factors for heart disease
Being a professional dietitian or a fitness & wellness startup, if you are planning to enter the fasting apps world, but not sure whether to move ahead with the idea or not. So, I have made a list of 5 best intermittent fasting apps in 2020 that are performing exceptionally and succeeded as fasting alternatives.
With the trending alternate day fasting, 16:8, 5:2, eat-stop-eat, the intermittent fasting diet has become a boosting health solution. Being a diet specialist, you can engage more health-conscious and people who are trying to lose weight through your app development.
There are a handful of fasting apps that are successfully functioning in the online world. So, I will bring you the Intermittent fasting for weight loss apps which will help you startups to understand what sets these online fasting apps or fasting tracker platforms apart from each other.
Zero app has over 1 million downloads and over 10 million complete fasts to date. It is a simple tracker that helps users sync an intermittent fast with their biological clock. The design of the best intermittent fasting app is simple and easy to use.
Top Features of the Zero Fasting App :
- Choose from popular fasts or customize your own fast
- Track the fasting progress and goals
- Simple journal entry attached to the completion of each fast
- Share the fasting experience through social media integration
- Expert articles to keep a user informed and motivated for the fast
- Integrate your smart wearable like Apple Watch directly to the app and know your weight, resting heart rate and sleep.
2. LIFE FASTING TRACKER
Life fasting tracker app is a scheduling tracker, since it allows users to set their own start and end time & goal for the fasting periods. The benefit of intermittent fasting app is in-app learning library with research-based articles and tips for beginner and experienced intermittent fasters.
Top Features of Life Fasting Tracker App :
- Adjust the start and end time of the fasting tracker as per the user convenience
- Advanced fasting tracker (Users can log their weight, waist circumference, glucose, and ketones)
- In-app community to connect and fast with friends by joining the fasting circles and help motivate each other
- Short research-based articles and videos
- Fasting history and statistics to track past hours and IF to date
BodyFast app is a Germany based online intermittent fasting platform. It allows users to choose a coach and follow his meal planning tips. The user can upgrade and take up weekly challenges to stay competitive and motivated. The app has specifically curated FAQ’s section that provides the answers to most of the possible questions about intermittent fasting for beginners.
Top Features of BodyFast Fasting App :
- Different fasting plans
- Fasting timer leading through the weeks
- Personal fasting coach (get your personal program based on your progress and preconditions)
- Weight tracker and statistics
- Notification alerts
- No advertisement
To maintain accountability while fasting a meal plan and records of the food intake is necessary. The Fastient app has a wide, open interface that leaves plenty of room for a user’s journal, they can view data in easy-to-read graphs, and can record their food intake easily through the fasting schedule tracker.
Top Features of Fastient Fasting App :
- Visualize progress while fasting
- Make your journal about the experience, thoughts, and progress
- Check the fasting history through interactive graphs
- Premium features like dark mode, progress pictures, quick-tag emojis
5. ATE FOOD DIARY
This social intermittent fasting app is a visual food diary, which helps in keeping track of how much time lapsed between meals and snacks. It allows users to share on social media, makes them look back on their choices and how it made them feel.
Top Features of Ate Food Diary Fasting App :
- Allows users to quickly track meals via photos
- Track fasting automatically
- Share progress on different social platforms via social media integration
- Stay accountable via friends or coach
Are you ready with your Fasting Apps development idea? However, The Intermittent Fasting method is just one of the effective ways to make you get a healthier body. It is not something that anyone needs to do, It’s simply one of many lifestyle strategies that can improve your health. Eating real food, exercising and taking care of your sleep are still the most important factors to focus on. If you feel good when fasting and find it to be a sustainable way of eating, it can be a very powerful tool to lose weight and improve your health.