Trying 5 Viral Food VideosApril 21, 2020
If you’re on social media you would notice that everybody is becoming a chef. Feeling left out? Don’t be.
This is because people are having so much free time during quarantine and are turning themselves into a chef! If you’re feeling bored you can simply walk straight to your refrigerator and sort out all the ingredients needed for cooking. I am pretty sure that you have most of the ingredients in the viral food videos I’m making today. These viral food videos are so viral that many people are doing in their so-called “COVID-19 holiday”.
**disclaimer** If I were to rate my own cooking skill…. I would say -1/10 and maybe +1 for the effort, so 0/10?
Before we start, make sure that you don’t forget to wash your hands!
Dalgona Whipped Coffee
The Dalgona Whipped Coffee or the Quarantine Coffee became viral in Korea during the quarantine time and now it’s all over the internet! This is also due to the fact that Koreans love anything that is aesthetically pleasing and so is this coffee. Also, the recipe is super easy to follow!
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 120 ml almond milk
- amount of choice ice cubes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
1. In a large mixing bowl, add coffee, sugar, and hot water in 1:1:1 ratio
2. Whip the entire mixture until thick and creamy
It took pretty long enough for the mixture to become thick and creamy. Even with the mixture my arm almost fall out.
3. Fill 3/4 of milk into the glass and add ice cubes
I am using almond milk since I am not into dairy products.
4. Top it with the foamy whipped coffee
The whipped foam was super solid and I think it’s because I whipped it too long.
5. YUM OR YUCK?
YUM! Since it’s a coffee I thought that the taste was going to be bitter, but it was actually sweet. This might be due to the fact that I use sweetened almond milk which makes the drink unexpectedly sweet!
Super Fluffy Souffle Omelette
We are all bored with a normal fried egg so how about making some extra fluffy omelet? The Fluffy Souffle Omelette became a fun recipe to do during the quarantine as the ingredients can be found easily in your house. Make your dish extravagant!
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 unsalted butter to spread on the pan
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 3-4 minutes
1. Separate the egg whites and egg yolks in separate bowls.
I felt kinda bad for breaking the yolk..
2. Add salt in to egg yolks and whisk
I had to redo the process because I added salt to the egg whites, so please don’t make mistake like me haha
3. Add sugar into egg whites and whisk until thick and creamy
4. Pour the egg yolks into whisked egg whites then whisk until they triple in size
Apparently, you should not whisk the mixture too long since the mixture will deflate and separate. But it seems like I have overdone it.
5. Turn on the stove with low heat and spread the butter
I didn’t have the butter at that time so I decided to go with truffle butter. So, if you happen to see some black substances, they are truffles!
6. Slowly pour them in the pan and spread the surface until smooth
I literally panic through this process because the shape was so weird, but it turns out pretty fine after I use a fork to smoothen it. I would recommend using a spoon or a spatula though.
7. Cover with lid and keep low heat for 3-4 minutes until fully cooked
I always make sure to check my souffle regularly so it does not overcook.
8. After 3-4 minutes, fold it in half gently and it should be thick souffle!
I have to admit that I was disappointed not seeing my omelet soft and fluffy, but this was because I over-mixed the mixture making the mixture deflate. (my mistake from part instruction 6)
But it turns out pretty good.
10. YUM OR YUCK?
YUM! The egg was sweet and the texture was very soft. A very interesting way to eat an omelet but I just don’t think I will have time to separate the whites and yolks. Cracking the eggs was already hard for me.
Condensed Milk Chocolate Truffles
Are you perhaps craving for something sweet? Try the Condensed Milk Chocolate Truffle that requires 2 ingredients only. This also once went so viral in Thailand when milo cubes were highly demanded and over-priced. This is something you could try at home with the ingredients that are at an affordable prices.
- 1 big can of condensed milk
- 100 grams cocoa power
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
1. Pour condensed milk into the pot and boil until it starts bubbling lightly with foams **note** it burns really fast so quickly turn off the stove before it burns
The instruction did say that the condensed milk burns really fast, but I did not expect it to BURN SO FAST. 10 seconds on the stove and it was burning already.
2. Sift in the cocoa powder into the condensed milk while it’s still hot
3. The mixture should turns out thick and harden a bit
4. Dust bottom of the mold with cocoa powder before pouring the mixture in
It was really hard to use the cling wrap, so I replaced it with parchment paper. Also, it was a really bad choice to use parchment paper since the mixture was so sticky. And I forgot to dusk the bottom with cocoa powder…
5. Sift in the cocoa powder again before chilling it in the refrigerator until firm then cut into even pieces.
Even though I forgot to dusk the bottom but I did not forget to dusk the top 😀
7. YUM OR YUCK?
YUCK! It was excessively sweet. So sweet that I thought I will get diabetes if I keep eating it. As a person who loves eating sweet, I just think that this is too sweet for me to handle.
Peanut Butter Cup S’mores Dip
S’mores are just perfect for any occasion and recently just became a hit for people who misses having an outside activities with their friends. This viral version of s’mores is the Peanut Butter Cup S’mores Dip. It’s so easy to make with just three ingredients and any servings according to your own preference. The taste will surely remind you of campfires in your school days.
- 1 bag Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- 1 bag marshmallows
- Graham crackers, for serving
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F
2. Place the chocolates in bottom of your mold then top with marshmallows
I couldn’t find any Reese’s peanut butter cups at the local stores near my home, so I decided to go with Hershey’s. Hello Hersey’s S’mores Dip?
3. Bake until marshmallows are golden brown and toasted (about 5-10 minutes)
4. Serve with crackers!
My all time favourite crackers!
6. YUM OR YUCK?
YUM! It surely does remind me of a summer campfire. Bringing so many memories I had in middle school with my friends. The dip was so good that I couldn’t stop eating and 1000/100 would surely do this again.
The 2-Ingredient Chocolate Cake
Don’t you all just crave for sweet because COVID-19 has made bakeries temporarily closed? Then just bake them yourself. Who would have thought that baking cake would be this easy! You can learn how to bake cake through this easy recipe – 2 ingredients chocolate cake. The 2-ingredients chocolate cake even went viral on TikTok for its easy ingredients and servings for decoration can be anything in your pantry.
- 4 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 9 ounces semisweet chocolate
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 MINUTES
1. Preheat the oven to 325˚F
2. Melt the chocolate in the microwave
3. Separate the egg yolks and egg whites then whisk the egg whites until firm
4. Add the yolks into the bowl of chocolate, one by one.
5. Use a spatula to put the whisked egg whites into the bowl, one by one.
6. Pour the batter in a mold then bake for 30 minutes
7. After 30 minutes, wait for the cake to cool down
8. Optional: serve with whip-cream
I went with my favourite whip cream in my pantry.
10. YUM OR YUCK?
YUM! I thought that the cake was tasteless after figuring out that the instructions didn’t require me to add any sugar. After all, it was all good, not to even mention using only 2 ingredients. Definitely a must-try dessert at home.
See? I told you these are super easy to make if you follow the instructions correctly. Besides, the ingredients are also easy to search for and most of them are definitely in your refrigerator. Don’t just laze around and be productive during the day, surely you won’t regret that.
Also, don’t forget to wash your hands after cooking!